Type of mission
3-Step humanitarian mission
Step 1: 22 April – 4 May 2018
Step 2: 5 – 17 August, 2018
Step 3: 7 – 19 November, 2018
Dar Alhanan, Suha Atelier
- 54 intellectually challenged children (5-18 years old),
- 30-40 staff members
With the conflicting situation in Sudan caused by fight between the government and rebel groups, many intellectually and physically challenged individuals now live in poverty, classified as the most stigmatized and marginalized people in society.
They often live in isolation, excluded from their communities, education systems, healthcare and other vital services. Sometimes they are even hidden away from their families. With no access to healthcare and rehabilitation, added to the stigma, many women and children in these groups face oppression and a heightened risk of domestic and sexual violence.
Over the course of a few months, the team from The Red Pencil will achieve:
- Allowing individuals to explore through haptic materials specific and suitable for the development and enhancement of cognitive skills.
- As well as cultivating and enhancing social skills through fostering interaction goals via non-verbal means.
- Finally, enhancing the individuals ability to express emotions through art making.
- Cultivating and enhancing social skills through fostering interaction goals via non-verbal means.
- Enhance the individual’s ability to express emotions through art making.
For the staff:
- Increase knowledge and ability to use artistic and creative processes in conjunction with their verbal skills during sessions to support beneficiaries.
Our work here
Number of missions: 1
Global impact in Sudan: 54 children and 40 staff members
Programmes: 3-step humanitarian mission