Type of mission:
Humanitarian mission: Phase I – 20 – 30 April, 2015
Archdiocese of Taunggyi, Shan State, Myanmar
Sruthi Sriram, Chanudi Wickramashinha
Children at the orphanage
Falling under The Archdiocese of Taunggyi are three congregations (among many) which operate as orphanages & care homes during school holidays. These cater to children who stay back in the convent due to being orphaned/abandoned/left behind because their families have limited resources to support the children at home.
Aiding children at the orphanages who have experienced neglect, abandonment, and abuse and witnessed violence/deaths is the core focus of the mission and its interventions.
The goals for this mission were to:
- Determine effective interventions for children in this setting.
- To equip the staff with tools for better communication and containment – this formed the basis of the Train the Trainer program.
- To encourage visual journaling for self-exploration and self-care.
Given the lack of time and disparity in language to delve into their concerns and conflicts on a deeper level, the main focus of the mission shifted to training the trainers to ensure long lasting and effective help being provided to the children through the caregivers.
- To determine effective interventions for children in this setting
- To equip the staff with tools for better communication and containment – this formed the basis of the Train the
- Trainer program to encourage visual journaling for self-exploration and self-care
Our work here
Number of missions: 1
Global impact in Myanmar: Children from the orphanages
Programmes: Humanitarian mission